mixed mushroom masala baked ziti
From Garden to Table
Seasonal January Recipe: Mixed Mushroom Masala Baked Ziti
By Chef: Nathan Middleton | @natetasty
" Gara masal + pasta = (heart emoji). Taking a familiar dish and adding an unfamiliar twist to create a new familiar favourite.
Happy New Year. "
Chef Nathan Middleton
Veg oil x 1/4 C
Carrots diced x 175g
Celery diced x 175g
Onion diced x 175g
Ginger paste x 1 tbsp
Garlic paste x 1 tbsp
Garam Masala x 1 tbsp
Canned Tomatoes x 796ml (Muir Glen Fire Roasted Diced)
Portobello Mushrooms chopped x 170g
Cremini Mushrooms chopped x 227g
Black Oyster Mushrooms chopped or pulled x 150g
Porcini powder 1 tbsp
Red Wine Vin x 1 tbsp
Salt x 1 tbsp
Dried Penne Pasta x Enough to fill your baking dish
Grated Mozzarella x Enough to cover 2 layers of your baking dish
Grated Gruyere x Enough to cover 2 layers of your baking dish
- Add half the oil, celery, carrot, and onion to a sauté pan and sauté low and slow for 20 min.
- Add the garam masala, ginger, and garlic to the pan and continue to sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Add everything to a large pot and clean the pan used to sauté.
- Add the other half of the oil to the sauté pan and sauté the mushrooms for 15 min.
- Add the dried porcini powder to the mushrooms and sauté for another 10min.
- Deglaze the mushroom pan by pouring in the red wine vinegar while scraping the bottom of the pan using a wooden spoon.
- Add the sautéed mushrooms to the pot with the sautéed veg.
- Add the canned tomatoes and salt to the pot. Stir well.
- Allow the sauce to simmer for about 10 min.
- While the sauce is simmering, blanch the penne until almost done and strain.
- Add the blanched penne to the sauce and stir well.
- Using a large spoon, add the sauced penne to a ceramic dish. When the dish is half full, sprinkle a nice layer of the grated gruyere and mozzarella.
- Continue filling the dish with the pasta all the way to the top and cover generously with grated gruyere and grated mozzarella.
- Place a lid or tin foil on the ceramic dish and bake at 350F for 20min.
- Remove the lid and continue baking until golden brown.